Open Work Permit

An open work permit is a type of temporary residence permit that allows foreign citizens to work in Canada without restrictions on a specific employer or job location.

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • Are an international student who has completed their studies at an institution listed and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
  • Are a student who can no longer cover the costs of your education (financially distressed student).
  • Hold a work permit tied to a specific employer and are at risk of violence or facing violence related to your employment in Canada.
  • Have applied for permanent residence in Canada.
  • Are a dependent family member of someone who has applied for permanent residence.
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant to the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.
  • Are a refugee, asylum seeker, protected person, or their family member.
  • Hold a temporary residence permit.
  • Are a young worker participating in special programs.